Wednesday, May 5, 2010

First Impressions

First impressions are often lasting, and usually are the most brutally honest because you have had less chance to be influenced by other points of view. What you see and feel creates a more visceral response rather than a calculated one.

What are your first impressions of the beta? Do you find it to be more or less balanced than previous Halos? Is it easier, harder or about the same? Do you like the DMR, hate it, prefer the needler, loathe the Microwave gun, or what exactly are your thoughts regarding the Pro-Pipe? Then of course there is the biggest question of all, what do you think of armor abilities? The follow up might then be what do you think of elites as well?

I'll save my opinion for later, but for now let me here yours.

3 comments:

  1. Give me about an hour and I will post on this... I've been dying to share. Btw, hire ME bungie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, I don't think beta has fully measured up to my expectations. I will say this, though, Halo: Reach is a very interesting add to the Halo collection. The game has brought many new ideas into game-play, especially halo game-play. I'm not sure if I would say the game is more or less balanced than Halo 3, however I will say that Reach does seem to keep you from surviving as long as Halo 3. My opinion regarding survivability in Reach is that there aren't as many things to bring out skill in Reach as there are in Halo 3. I could be wrong with this observation but I believe it is even evident in scores. If you haven't noticed, I have noticed that my scores are a bit random at times. Now, I will say that my scores are above average, however I do feel that scores are a bit more averaged out. Don't get me wrong though, I do see some great things in Reach. Many people say that sword contesting is bullshit. I say it's cool. It adds to survivability and in this game I would say that there is much more needed even still. For whatever reason, Halo 3 seems to me, to add a lot more survivability, thus amplifying players' skills as it is evident on the score board. Not to name names... but... Jared is an example in my opinion. I honestly don't see you pulling off as many crazy things in Reach as I did in Halo 3. Another thing I don't like about Reach is the ranking system. It honestly does not encourage me to play with better players. In fact, it encourages me to play with worse players. At this point I would say that I don't know what's worse--playing with worse players and getting experience or playing with better players and getting experience. If I were to make a split decision, I would say I like playing with better players and getting experience. It enhances everyone's game-play when everyone is competing. Not only is this true, but I also like playing with my brother... so shitty players does not seem to be an option. As for the DMR. Very interesting, very interesting indeed. The DMR actually brings more to survivability for Reach. The DMR adds a new concept to Halo that may be a very good add to Reach. However, I will say that I think the aim should be corrected slightly faster--very slightly though. There are other things that I've noticed need fixing. I realize this is a beta but I'll list them anyway to see if you guys agree. The head hit box seems slightly off, assassination box or however you would like to call it does not seem right (I often feel like i'm supposed to assassinate a guy but end up only "pummeling" him, radar dots are messed up (dark for a different levels and bright for same level), sniper auto-aim on scope, various animations included assassinations when being assassinated, and more that I can't think of at the moment. Armor abilities are another whole thing. They seem interesting enough and are good for different situations. Some people might wonder how the armor lock adds to game-play. But honestly, i see a use for each thing although sprint is most commonly used. Keep in mind that there are other game types such as rumble pit that need certain abilities for certain situations. And finally, elites. This is probably the biggest surprise for me yet. I was a fine example of those saying fuck elites and get them out of multiplayer for forever and beyond. However, what Reach does--making elites a separate game type all together--makes things actually fair and perhaps fun. I don't know about you all but I love sporting the elite. The elite brings in some awesome survivability techniques, which is my kind of game-play. I've had a lot of fun playing covy slayer on swordbase while holding up the glass room and lift, good times indeed. Oh and before I stop this long ass post, I would like to say that Reach needs to increase the jump height. Okay I'm done for now.

    ReplyDelete